What the cool parents are reading today:
1. In her blog post for the Huffington Post, Alanis Morissette explains why she’s an attachment parent: “If a child’s needs during this stage of development are not met, he or she will be staving off a haunting sense of cellular disconnection and loneliness for a lifetime.” Make sense to you?
2. We love Brave producer Katherine Sarafia even more after reading her interview with Geekdad. Between the first research trip to Scotland and the final edit of the film, she met her husband, got married, and had two kids. That’s some creative inspiration we can get behind.
3. Want to see more same sex-family featuring ads like JCPenny’s Feather’s Day one? Show your support by shouting out this link on your Facebook or Twitter. Take that, One Million Moms. Read more...
What we’re reading today:
1. Tiny queer parent rights victory! An Israeli court has recognized a lesbian couple as their son’s natural, biological moms. One donated eggs while the other carried the pregnancy. The mom who gave birth to the boy, now 5, was immediately recognized as the birth mother, but the other had to argue that if she were a man, of course genetic material would make her a legal parent.
2. Does your potty-trained child wet the bed? The problem might not be with their bladder, but rather their colon. (Warning: this is an article all about poop)
3. Baby-swinging yogi Lena Fokina says she does what she does to build the babies muscle development. Um, not convinced.
4. Blossom wrote a book! And no, it’s not about how to wear create a personal style via hats, it’s about attachment parenting. You may have heard that Mayim Bialik has a PhD in neuroscience, and in her studies found much support for attachment parenting practices like co-sleeping and babywearing. Read more...
What we’re reading today:
1. One mom’s story of going in for attachment parenting, and finding out what happens when she’s not as crunchy as she thinks she is and the most attachmenty of the attachment parents makes sure she knows it. It’s really too bad that one mom was so judge-y, sounds like a great group! Also, sounds like an episode of Up All Night.
2. OK, and it’s not super-parent-y, but we’re guessing some of you saw the Golden Globes last night? We continue to adore Michelle Williams and love that she mostly just shouted out her daughter with her acceptance speech and thanked her for letting her read bedtime stories in a Marilyn Monroe voice for six months. And speaking of thanking kids, we thought Peter Dinklage was pretty sweet to be stressed about his baby’s first night with a sitter. What were the other highlights for you? We liked anything Kate Winslet, Claire Danes’s dress and of course, Tina Fey’s nomination photobomb of Amy Poehler. (Poehler should have won!) Read more...