News Round-Up Oct. 6: Cutting Back on Autism Therapy, How Stress Is Bad for Parenting and Those Crazy, Crazy Single Moms
What we’re reading today:
1. Does everyone secretly think single moms are crazy? Katie Roiphe thinks that they mean romantic rather than crazy: “They mean that she is not influenced by the practical news on the ground, is listening instead to another story that is in her head. She is drawn to things that are, according to the dictionary definition of romantic, ‘impractical in conception or plan’ and is in thrall to the ‘heroic, adventurous, remote, mysterious, or idealized.’”
2. People continue to debate whether or not circumcision is the healthy choice.
3. New groundbreaking study finds that stress is bad for parenting.
4. If you have a child with special needs, of course you’re going to try whatever treatment or therapy you think might help them, but sometimes it’s better to hold back a bit.
5. There are a lot of great Steve Jobs tributes out there on the internet today, which just goes to show what a tremendous impact he had on the world. Xkcd’s is lovely, and Brian Lam’s is insightful. Here’s Jobs talking to the Stanford class of 2005:
Image via xkcd